Monday, December 13, 2010

Prayer of Jabez

In an attempt to get rid of some books and make some money I came across this little book that I haven't read in awhile, The Prayer of Jabez. Well, I didn't end up selling any of my books but I don't think it's an accident that I found this book either. I plowed through the pages and couldn't tear myself away until I was finished. To start off this is the actual prayer:
"And Jabez called on the God of Israel saying, "Oh, that You would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory, that Your hand would be with me, and that You would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain!" So God granted him what he requested.
1 Chronicles 4:10
Now if I was just reading in my Bible I would probably have just read it and thought that it seemed pretty cool but wouldn't have really thought much about it. Man, would I have been wrong! There is so much to this little prayer. First off that God would bless me indeed. This isn't necessarily a selfish prayer but one of blessing in the way that He chooses and desires to do in our lives. Secondly that our territory would be enlarged. Praying for more opportunities and chances to impact the Kingdom. Thirdly, that God's hand would be with us means that the Holy Spirit is guiding us. Last of all that He would keep us from evil is His protection. If we are actively moving and working for God than Satan is going to do all he can to stop us. He will throw obsticals in our way and try to make us fall or give up. There really is so much more to all of this but I wanted to give you just a glimpse of what I've learned. At the end of the book it challenges you to a 30 day plan. I've already started praying this prayer and have daily seen so great blessings so I decided to do the challenge. I'm sharing with you so I will keep myself accountable. I'm so excited for what God will do and show me through this time. May I challenge you to read and learn for yourself what this book has for you. If we would only ask for those blessings He has stored up in Heaven for us each day.

No comments: